Reach: More than 40 percent of YouTube viewers use mobile devices, and this is only going to increase.
Revenue: YouTube’s partner program allows you to monetize your content and expand your reach.
Rights: There’s a CMS for YouTube that allows you to customize your content.
Reporting: YouTube has a robust analytics platform built into it for measuring performance and revenue.
The lifecycle of a news video on YouTube and the steps that are crucial at every stage:
- Build a home – create a channel icon, banner (cross promote social media sites), welcome video, sections (string together pieces of content: breaking news, stories for today, most popular videos)
- Create and package content – local doesn’t have to stay local; it can be global if you program the content to reach a specific audience. Attention spans on YouTube are very short; try repacking long pieces into top 5 highlight reels.
- Upload: search and discovery – the most important thing when you’re uploading video onto YouTube is to remember that YouTube is the second largest search engine, right behind Google. Influencers: metadata – every single video starts off with 0 views; the title is the most important and provides context and engage curiosity; you want to make sure the thumbnail describes the video; recency – if there’s a breaking news event, YouTube bumps it up, focus on publishing breaking story with great metadata; watch time and user-generated data – the backbone of how we recommend videos in suggested, related and homepage feeds, the easiest ways to extend watch time are to use playlists and annotations (at the end of the video can be programed in through the Video Manager and allows people to become a subscriber with one click.)
- Promote and retain viewership – Look at the videos that you are investing in through packaging and put some promotional weight behind those videos. The focus in promoting your content isn’t to have a viral hit that brings in a bunch of views once. The real goal is to acquire a sustainable audience, and you do that through the Subscribe button. If you look at the data of where the views are coming from in the first hours of the upload, the majority is coming from the subscribers.
- Measure success – YouTube Analytics can concretely answer who is the audience, what demographic are they, what they like, how do they find us, what platform are they watching on, how well each ad format is performing, click-through rate and annotation effectiveness. Just remember that analytics will help you iterate and improve so that your next upload is more popular than your last. Learn from your recent uploads and key in on who your audience is and create content for that.
Tools – The live landscape is changing especially with Google Glass for streaming live events. When you’re a YouTube Partner, you can stream on YouTube live for free. Google News and YouTube has been integrated in two ways: YouTube videos from Google News partners are becoming more prevalent. Google News pulls YouTube partner’s videos. Trending topics on Google News influences YouTube’s recency algorithm so if something is trending on Google News, it’s going to be trending on YouTube as well.
- Google News integration: goo.gl/t0tbwh
- NPR local news: goo.gl/tzb1nm
- YouTube for nonprofits